23 October 2012

I'm not leaving Mr. Cockroach!


Distractions

I truly believe there are forces out here that want to prevent us from hearing and learning God’s truth. I had an experience that sho’ nuff made me want to run out of church one Sunday. I was on sabbatical enjoying a season of rest and time away from church stuff while God prepared me for the next assignment in my life. This particular Sunday I felt like being around some church folk and was determined to go and hear God’s word. My two kiddos and I joyfully head out for the 10am service, or so I thought. We got there at 9:45 only to learn that service started at 9:30am, just great. Two older women with unfriendly faces greeted us. Who knows, maybe they had a rough morning. But let me quickly add, if you’re a worker in the church your service is first unto the Lord. Having that mindset helps to pour out proper and cheerful service to the guests. Don’t let the forces (the enemy and his friends) use you to keep a person from returning to church again.

The kids and I make a dash for the sanctuary to find seats. Worship had already begun so I jump right in by clapping and singing along to the music. Every few seconds my kids would tug on me for one reason or another. This distracted me from fully engaging in worship. My daughter taps me and says, “Mommy I feel something wet dripping on my socks, I think it’s coming from the lady’s hair in front of us.” I glanced real quick and noticed her hair was sort of juicy. I said, “Don’t worry about it, I don’t feel anything wet” and I continued to worship. When worship ended all children were called into Sunday school. Finally, I was alone without distraction and ready to receive the word of God.

Whelp, not even five minutes into the sermon my eyes locked in on something crawling on the lady in front of me. I realized it was a cockroach steadily climbing toward the green scarf wrapped around her neck. I looked to my left and my right to see if I was the only one that spotted this roach. On the inside I’m screaming, Why me!!!  I’m thinking I have to tell this lady but how?  If I tell her it’s a roach, she will absolutely lose her mind. As I’m contemplating what to do, time is running out. I watched the cockroach disappear into the green scarf and the lady started to scratch. I quickly leaned forward and whispered in her ear, “It’s a bug.” Just like I thought; she lost her mind! She leaped back in her seat, which caused me to jump back in mine because I felt a sprinkle of juice from her hair plop on my face (I guess my daughter was right). She flung the scarf from around her neck and kept rubbing herself to see if she felt anything. She quickly exited the row she was sitting in to look for the ladies room, I guess? I grabbed my pocket book from off the floor and placed it safely next to me.

Now I’m scratching. I try to focus on the sermon but I can’t concentrate. Out the corner of my eye I notice the cockroach scurrying across my open bag. Are you kidding me? I snatched my bag with such force that the roach flew God knows where. Now, I’m ready to go. I’m thinking this is ridiculous! What is the sermon about? Where did the roach go? A woman directly behind me asked if everything was OK. I advised her to pick her bag up off the floor because there is a relentless roach on the loose.

I kid you not; five minutes later I hear a loud smack behind me. I turn around and witnessed the woman I was just speaking to slapping her thighs. I whispered, “Did you see it?” “Yes”, she said.  Feeling hopeful I asked, “Did you kill it?”  No, she replied.  Immediately I grabbed our jackets and fled the row I was in.  My first thought was to head for the doors and leave. I remembered my kids were in Sunday school and decided to stay. I parked myself in the very last row. 

Minutes later, I observed the woman that was behind me get up and exit the church. I chuckled on the inside but thought wow; the forces prevailed in preventing someone from hearing God’s word. Sure, it could have been just an annoying roach, but I don't think so. Anything annoying enough to prevent me from receiving hope, change in my life and encouragement, is a hindrance on purpose.  I’m glad I stayed because the tiny bit of the sermon I heard encouraged me greatly. Sometimes we don’t need to hear a long sermon. A few powerful words inspired by God are enough to keep pushing forward.

The message was, “Your work will be rewarded if you do what you are called and purposed to do.  Be determined to do the work of the Kingdom.  Be strong and don’t give up!

Blessings,
Tytenisha

No comments:

Post a Comment